Remote Work3 July 2022
How To Overcome Remote Working Challenges
The remote working challenges are not new to teleworking environments. However, some remote workers choose to ignore these working challenge, which is a bad sign for their workflow. Although remote work has been around for decades, recently, companies have only started to embrace it as an effective way to work. However, there are still many remote working challenges that we need to list and find solutions for them. Here’s work-from-home problems example; it’s easy to fall into bad habits when working remotely, especially if you’re not used to being alone. So, the solution is to take breaks every hour to check in with your family and friends. And if you’re feeling lonely, try calling up a friend or colleague who lives nearby. Let’s learn with Kapsys what the work-from-home problems are and how to overcome them as remote workers.
Working from home means working too much.
One of the essential work-from-home problems is overworking, let’s discuss these work-from-home problems and solutions in the next few lines. There’s no denying that working from home has its benefits for remote companies and for remote workers. However, it can also lead to burnout. Therefore, taking breaks throughout the day is essential so you don’t become overwhelmed by your workload. One of the managers’ biggest fears about remote work was that they feared employees would slack off without that in-person oversight. But, surprisingly, the opposite happened; remote workers are more likely to _over_work.
How to avoid overworking as remote workers?
- Set calendar appointments for the end of the day.
- Likewise, set up reminders to take breaks.
- Be clear and strict with your remote team on when you’re leaving.
- Create physical boundaries between you and your workspace.
- Turn your phone notifications off, so you don’t get busy with them and have to work extra hours.
Working remotely needs to prioritize work.
Prioritizing work is incredibly working from home challenging for remote workers who have more flexible, free-form days and managers in different parts of the world. In addition to the temptation to watch one TV show episode, cook and delay a project, or walk your dog because of their begging look.
How to work on your highest priorities in remote work?
- Set a pre-planned schedule and stick to it.
- Limit the number of your daily tasks.
- Install distraction-limiting tools for your cell phone and computer.
- Manage your energy, not your time, and set goals to meet your capacity.
Loneliness in remote work
There’s no denying that being alone at home can be lonely. It’s easy to feel isolated when you cannot see colleagues face-to-face. And even though you might be surrounded by family members, friends, and pets, you might feel more alone than ever before.
How to not feel isolated when working from home?
- Include social breaks in your schedule.
- Try working at co-working spaces or coffee shops.
- Join local groups or communities.
- Make after-work plans to avoid being isolated.
- Use video conferencing and remote work tools to communicate with your team.
Time zone differences challenge of working remotely
A different time zone means that you might be starting your work day and your co-work going to sleep. As a result, you can’t rely on your remote teammates all the time, and maybe you can’t reach your managers to solve a problem or answer a question when needed immediately. However, this work-from-home problem has a solution.
- Set boundaries, and be clear about your work hours and availability.
- Set meetings at mutual timings to prevent confusion or misguidance, ensuring a smooth work routine.
- Be specific when discussing dates so that each employee understands the time you mean accordingly.
- If you and your remote team are working in an entirely different time zone, you can allocate some of your working hours that fit your remote teammates’ time zone to finish your meeting. Then you can continue your working hours according to your time zone.
- Finally, you can create a quick chat group to communicate easily with your remote team, such as; Slack, WhatsApp, and Telegram.
Bad health habits while working remotely.
If you’re not careful, bad health habits can creep into your life when you’re working remotely. For example, you might find yourself eating unhealthy snacks because there’s nothing else available at your desk. Or you might start skipping meals because you’re too busy to eat.
The solution to the bad health habits challenge while remote working?
- Eat a healthy diet, and avoid snacks and junk food.
- Keep your body hydrated; drink the necessary water and fresh drinks.
- Schedule regular exercise, take 5 while your working hours to exercise.
- Set up the home office for optimal posture and comfort.
- Maintain a work-life balance.
- Stick to a daily routine like walking or jogging.
- Reduce stress by practicing mindfulness like yoga, praying, or other meditation practices.
Interruptions while working remotely: you gave a family, pets, or a doorbell.
When you work remotely, you can avoid co-workers dropping by your desk and other office interruptions. Also, you skip birthday parties and hang out around the water cooler. All of that interrupt your focus, therefore, affects the workflow. However, working from home could contain other interruptions, such as; kids, surprise in-laws visits, and so on.
How to deal with interruptions while working from home?
Interruption is one of the most common work-from-home problems, but here are some tips for dealing with interruptions while working from home:
- Set up a signal on your workplace door or via your cell phone that lets others know when you’re in focus mode.
- Explain to your kids, family, and friends why it’s essential for you to avoid interruptions.
- If you have babies, you have to find the proper childcare.
- Train your kids to be independent and occupy themselves.
- Keep consistent work hours and don’t get any personal calls during work.
- If all of the above didn’t work for you, you must find a co-working space or try working out.
Conclusion of Remote Working Challenges
Remote working has become increasingly popular recently, especially among younger employees. But there are still many remote working challenges with this type of job arrangement. If you’re working remotely, there are some things you need to consider. For example, you should ensure you get enough sleep, eat well, and exercise regularly. You also must ensure that you’re communicating with your team as much as possible. Reading this article from Kapsys gives you a better knowledge about the work from home problems and solutions by explaining the work-from-home problems and solutions.